- Co-op Decade
- 2014 Meeting of Members - Québec
- All Events
- Add an event
- 2013 Alliance Conference and General Assembly
- Alliance events
- International Co-operative Day 2014
- 2nd International Summit of Co-operatives
- 2014 UN International Year of Family Farming
- UN International Year
- Co-operatives United 2012
- The Alliance
- Alliance Members
- Alliance Projects
- Join the Alliance
- Alliance Board
- Global Development Co-operative
- Alliance Recovery Fund
- What's a co-op?
You are hereHome ›
What's a co-op?
Co-operatives are businesses owned and run by and for their members. Whether the members are the customers, employees or residents they have an equal say in what the business does and a share in the profits.
As businesses driven by values not just profit, co-operatives share internationally agreed principles and act together to build a better world through co-operation. To find out more about co-operative values and principles, click here.
Successful co-operatives around the world are allowing people to work together to create sustainable enterprises that generate jobs and prosperity and provide answers to poverty and short term business practices.
Look at an ICA Factsheet on the differences between Co-operatives, Corporations and Non Profit Organisations