The UN observance of the 2016 International Day of Cooperatives will take place during the High-Level Political Forum on Sustainable Development, in Conference Room 9 of UN headquarters in New York.
The event will focus on cooperatives’ innovative approaches to implementing the 2030 Agenda, by exploring the contributions of cooperatives to sustainable development in countries around the world and showcasing examples of innovation in achieving the SDGs.
Among the speakers are:
- His Excellency Vincent T. Seretse, Minister for Investment, Trade and Industry, Republic of Botswana
- His Excellency Sebastiano Cardi, Permanent Representative of the Mission of Italy to the UN
- His Excellency Sukhbold Sukhee, Permanent Representative of the Mission of Mongolia to the UN
- Daniela Bas, Director, Division for Social Policy and Development (DSPD), UN Department of Economic and Social Affairs (UNDESA)
- Ariel Guarco, President, Co-operative Confederation of Argentina (COOPERAR)
- Sonia Maria Dias, Waste Sector Specialist, Women in Informal Employment: Globalizing and Organizing (WIEGO)
The event will also feature a presentation of the Alliance's Co-ops for 2030 campaign, an online platform for co-operatives to learn about, pledge to and track their progress on achieving the SDGs.
Hosts of the event are the Permanent Mission of Italy to the UN, the Permanent Mission of Mongolia to the UN and the Committee for the Promotion and Advancement of Cooperatives (COPAC), whose members are the UN Department of Economic and Social Affairs, the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, the International Labour Organization, the International Co-operative Alliance, and the World Farmers’ Organisation.
The Alliance is currently chair of COPAC.
- Contact person:
Fran McCrae, COPAC Coordinator
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: http://www.copac.coop/copac-to-celebrate-international-day-of-cooperatives-at-u…